With 350 employees, the managers at Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber have custom-built a health care plan based on the staff’s needs. And it pays 100% of the premiums.
“Of course it’s costing us money,” says HR Director Brenda Heerdt, “but we feel that the health of our employees is very important.”
The employee-owned architectural engineering firm also keeps a health care advocate on retainer for employees. The trained nurse advises employees about health issues and doctors.
Employee-owners, says Heerdt, want to stick around, so the organization avoids downsizing and layoffs by cross-training employees.
“It’s the culture of all for one and one for all,” Heerdt says.
Contact: Brenda Heerdt at (616) 464-3702 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Court ruling may discourage jobs for the financially troubled
- Employee filed for workers' comp? Careful with layoff
- Are you prepared to follow the new FMLA regulations?
- Develop, implement and publicize policies that encourage employees to report harassment