A poorly timed layoff has cost an Arlington hotel owner $20,000. Arlington Host Corp., which formerly owned and operated the BallPark Inn in Arlington, settled a
Arlington Host agreed to pay $20,000 to Heidi Guevara, who charged that she was targeted because of her pregnancy.
According to EEOC attorney Tisha Dominguez, “Although the defendant in this case denies having discriminated, all employers need to know that if a layoff is necessary, it is illegal to select a pregnant employee for layoff just because she will soon be needing .”
- How to respond when employees show mental instability
- Don't hide behind your handbook! Formal harassment complaint isn't required
- Diverse workplace can raise reverse-Discrimination risk
- Whistle-Blower or news source? Either way, she's out of a job
- With promotions on the line, beware rivalries that could result in sex bias, harassment