Like any responsible employer, your organization probably has a comprehensive
Here’s why: If they only list the violation—for example, dereliction of duty for leaving the workplace without permission—an employee alleging some form of discrimination may point to another employee who received a lesser punishment for the same violation.
To counter such a claim, managers and supervisors must be able to accurately describe all the facts about the discipline and what led to it.
That requires carefully documenting the entire investigative and disciplinary process. If they do, they’ll be able to explain why th...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Supreme Court rules on pre-employment tests and disparate impact
- Contract requires lengthy advance notice of resignation? It may not be valid
- Riffed Latrobe staff wants EEOC inquiry: Was bias involved?
- Need to fire someone with known medical issues? Be prepared to prove your good faith