Like any responsible employer, your organization probably has a comprehensive
Here’s why: If they only list the violation—for example, dereliction of duty for leaving the workplace without permission—an employee alleging some form of discrimination may point to another employee who received a lesser punishment for the same violation.
To counter such a claim, managers and supervisors must be able to accurately describe all the facts about the discipline and what led to it.
That requires carefully documenting the entire investigative and disciplinary process. If they do, they’ll be able to explain why th...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Base light-duty policy on business necessity; enforce it consistently
- Congrats on winning that bias case! That doesn't mean you won't owe attorneys' fees
- USERRA: Accommodate returning vets--but insist that they follow reinstatement rules
- Can law enforcement agencies prohibit uniformed officers from wearing religious garb?