Like any responsible employer, your organization probably has a comprehensive
Here’s why: If they only list the violation—for example, dereliction of duty for leaving the workplace without permission—an employee alleging some form of discrimination may point to another employee who received a lesser punishment for the same violation.
To counter such a claim, managers and supervisors must be able to accurately describe all the facts about the discipline and what led to it.
That requires carefully documenting the entire investigative and disciplinary process. If they do, they’ll be able to explain why th...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Shopping for Employment Practices Liability Insurance: 6 Questions to Ask
- Class action could take huge bite out of Apple
- Be patient and keep thorough records to make sure your firing decisions stick
- Union says Honeywell's lockout costs more than concessions