Madison-based Quest Diagnostics has agreed to pay more than $688,772 in back overtime wages to 238 employees following a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) investigation. The DOL found that Quest misclassified as exempt the systems analysts working at all of the company’s facilities, resulting in unpaid overtime.
Note: Merely paying employees on a salary basis is no guarantee that they are exempt from overtime. For complete information on exempt versus nonexempt status and overtime payment, see the HR Specialist white paper, Complying With the .
- Be a driver, not a passenger, during times of change
- Know the limits of employee free speech—no need to tolerate out-of-line protests
- Consistently applied blanket-Leave limits don't violate FMLA
- Put muscle in your flex: Quit justifying, start implementing
- Cast your vote in the Final Four of HR Headaches!