Madison-based Quest Diagnostics has agreed to pay more than $688,772 in back overtime wages to 238 employees following a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) investigation. The DOL found that Quest misclassified as exempt the systems analysts working at all of the company’s facilities, resulting in unpaid overtime.
Note: Merely paying employees on a salary basis is no guarantee that they are exempt from overtime. For complete information on exempt versus nonexempt status and overtime payment, see the HR Specialist white paper, Complying With the .
- React quickly to employee threats; don't be wedded to discipline policy
- Masonry firm misclassified workers as independent contractors
- Tout your successes in an annual HR report
- You're justified in firing employee you reasonably believe committed 'Leave fraud'
- New managers:Stick to promised accommodations