Madison-based Quest Diagnostics has agreed to pay more than $688,772 in back overtime wages to 238 employees following a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) investigation. The DOL found that Quest misclassified as exempt the systems analysts working at all of the company’s facilities, resulting in unpaid overtime.
Note: Merely paying employees on a salary basis is no guarantee that they are exempt from overtime. For complete information on exempt versus nonexempt status and overtime payment, see the HR Specialist white paper, Complying With the .
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Ensure computer policy is clear: No using tech for nonbusiness purposes
- Tell it to HR: Your hair's too big and I don't like your aura
- Holiday parties: Don't let best of times become worst of times
- Consider 360º evaluations to catch supervisor-Bias problems