Keith Harris and Dennis Alexander, who are black, sued Joseph Orlando, owner of Cobra Construction, for constructive discharge and racial discrimination, saying they were forced to quit out of fear for their lives.
During a break, Orlando, apparently upset about something, pointed a sawed-off shotgun at them and said, “What are you black _____ looking at? Now get back to work.”
Harris and Alexander lost their suit, and the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals refused to reinstate it. The court noted that Orlando’s behavior, while certainly threatening, wasn’t necessarily “hostile.”
Final note: The men did receive workers’ for the trauma.
- Equal treatment is absolutely essential after employee's complaint
- How to safely handle calls for references, recommendations
- Can we discipline an employee for his postings on a social networking site?
- Can You Fire Worker for Reporting Unapproved Overtime?
- Don't Ignoreâ€”or Make Light ofâ€”Harassment Complaints