Q. I’ve heard that if both parents work for the same company and they have a child, they’re only allowed to take a combined 12 weeks of
A. Yes. If two eligible employees are husband and wife, they can take only up to 12 weeks of leave combined for the birth and care of a healthy newborn child.
But if the newborn has health problems, that changes things. Reason: Employees can take up to 12 weeks of leave to care for a child with a “serious” medical condition, regardless of the child’s age.
Both employees could also take up to 12 weeks of leave if either spouse suffers a serious health condition.
- FMLA claim may come separately from others
- Feel free to make routine shift changes--courts won't consider that evidence of retaliation
- Ensure your FMLA practices comply with new GINA regulations
- How to comply with N.J.'s sweeping Whistle-Blower protection law
- Update job descriptions regularly to include new duties & essential functions