Q. I’ve heard that if both parents work for the same company and they have a child, they’re only allowed to take a combined 12 weeks of
A. Yes. If two eligible employees are husband and wife, they can take only up to 12 weeks of leave combined for the birth and care of a healthy newborn child.
But if the newborn has health problems, that changes things. Reason: Employees can take up to 12 weeks of leave to care for a child with a “serious” medical condition, regardless of the child’s age.
Both employees could also take up to 12 weeks of leave if either spouse suffers a serious health condition.
- What are the rules? I'm afraid we wrongly denied an employee's FMLA leave request
- FMLA rules as thick as a phone book? Be prepared for FMLA interference lawsuit
- 10 key tips for recession-proofing your HR department
- Productivity plus: Retool with new Internet Explorer tricks
- Employee passed fitness exam? Put him to work