Q. I’ve heard that if both parents work for the same company and they have a child, they’re only allowed to take a combined 12 weeks of
A. Yes. If two eligible employees are husband and wife, they can take only up to 12 weeks of leave combined for the birth and care of a healthy newborn child.
But if the newborn has health problems, that changes things. Reason: Employees can take up to 12 weeks of leave to care for a child with a “serious” medical condition, regardless of the child’s age.
Both employees could also take up to 12 weeks of leave if either spouse suffers a serious health condition.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Accommodation can include FMLA leave to avoid OT
- Steps you should take to derail the FMLA leave abuse train
- No personal supervisor liability under Title VII
- Consider extended leave as accommodation if disabled employee is likely to return to work