On July 24, the federal minimum wage will take the second step in the three-step increase that Congress approved last year. The wage floor will rise from its current $5.85 per hour to $6.55 per hour. It will rise again to $7.25 per hour beginning July 24, 2009.
More than half the states have set their own minimum wage. Review an interactive map of all state minimum wage laws at www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm.
- Gross misconduct gets tougher to prove
- Outsourcing training? You'll still pay for injuries
- How do the new Illinois Equal Pay Act rules affect my record-keeping obligations?
- Don't think 'Contractor' status shields you from retaliation
- In California, raise arbitration issue before administrative hearing on unpaid wages