Thirty-six desks at IT firm Dynamic Edge in Ann Arbor, Mich., have wheels on them so employees can sit with whomever they want each day.
Nobody has a job title or an assigned cubicle, and even the company’s founder sits out in the open at a portable desk.
“We figured this would be a way to really bring people together,” says founder Bruce McCully.
Dynamic Edge also pairs employees to work with a personal trainer and earn points toward gym memberships or new workout clothes. “It’s a way for people to get to know who they’re working with,” Thomas Moore, the company’s “HR guy,” says.
The firm honors employee efforts with One Ups, an award for which anyone can nominate a co-worker, who will win prizes ranging from a $10 gift certificate to a day at a spa.
“We’re big advocates for reward systems that are fast,” McCully says.
Contact: Thomas Moore at hr@ dynedge.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Job-seekers more willing to relocate these days
- New FMLA regulations and military leave: What you need to know
- Hacked! Limiting employer liability for breaches of employee data
- I-9 issues: To copy or not to copy employee ID documents? (and 4 other I-9 problems that cause employer headaches)