In the wake of New Jersey’s recent passage of
Mandatory sick leave is also making its way through some state legislatures, but has met with stiff opposition from the business community. Employers fear abuse. “If sick leave is unpaid, it serves as a deterrent to taking off,” a lobbyist said. “If it’s paid, people think of it as vacation.”
Pennsylvania is one of 11 states considering mandatory sick-leave legislation.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Train managers to act immediately on leave requests
- Check your FMLA policy: Does it comply with new leave expansions?
- 7 bills to watch: Congress' 2010 employment law agenda
- Warn bosses: Don't say anything about medical conditions that may be covered by FMLA