In the wake of New Jersey’s recent passage of
Mandatory sick leave is also making its way through some state legislatures, but has met with stiff opposition from the business community. Employers fear abuse. “If sick leave is unpaid, it serves as a deterrent to taking off,” a lobbyist said. “If it’s paid, people think of it as vacation.”
Pennsylvania is one of 11 states considering mandatory sick-leave legislation.
- Never assume pregnancy will affect employees' ability to work
- Continue benefits status during military leave
- Laying off employee who's out on FMLA leave? Better be prepared to back up the rationale
- Ensure your FMLA practices comply with new GINA regulations
- FMLA leave expired? You don't have to reinstate