In the wake of New Jersey’s recent passage of
Mandatory sick leave is also making its way through some state legislatures, but has met with stiff opposition from the business community. Employers fear abuse. “If sick leave is unpaid, it serves as a deterrent to taking off,” a lobbyist said. “If it’s paid, people think of it as vacation.”
Pennsylvania is one of 11 states considering mandatory sick-leave legislation.
- What are some strategies to stop employees from abusing intermittent FMLA leave?
- Punish employee if you uncover poor work during FMLA leave
- Craft 'last-chance' agreements with on-the-ropes workers
- You're free to adjust benefit plan without fear of FMLA suit
- Must we grant FMLA leave for employee to provide care to her niece?