A federal jury has awarded $1.2 million to 12 teachers who sued the Elizabeth Forward School District in Allegheny County for age discrimination.
The teachers alleged they were hired at the lowest pay scale because they were older women. They said younger male and female teachers hired after them started at higher pay grades for no valid reason.
The teachers’ attorney said he might pursue double damages because the jury found the district’s conduct willful. The district is considering an appeal.
Note: Discrimination doesn’t have to be willful to cost you in court. Conduct periodic audits of hiring, firing and activities to determine if your policies favor one group over another.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/4858/biased-pay-policies-cost-school-district-millions "
- Investigating workplace harassment: 10 steps to success
- You can demand a mental exam if you're sued for emotional damage
- Can I fire an employee whose financial woes have me worried about our own finances?
- Confidentiality provision may violate federal labor law
- Set clear policy on promotions--and enforce it