The first black firefighter in the Irving, Texas Fire Department is suing the department, claiming it promoted a less qualified white applicant to assistant fire chief.
The firefighter, hired in 1979 and currently a captain, has been passed over three times for the job.
Only three of the Irving Fire Department’s 320 firefighters are black. Twelve percent of Irving citizens are black.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Independent inquiry saves the day on supervisor harassment
- Court: Basing pay on past salary may spark Equal Pay Act lawsuits
- Chicago firefighters' case burns on--focus still on allegedly biased promotion tests
- Employee wouldn't dance to Bojangle's manager's tune