If you feel like you’re fighting a hundred battles, take a reality check:
1. Is this battle strategically important? Will it take us to the future we want? What would happen if we simply ignored it and didn’t fight?
2. Is it winnable? Do we have the capacity, or can we afford to add the capacity needed to win?
3. Who are the stakeholders and what are their stakes? What is our relationship with them? How should we approach them?
4. What major obstacles do we face? What risks? Can we afford to lose?
5. What would success look like after one year? Three years? How should we measure success?
— Adapted from “Must-Win Battles,” Peter Killing and Thomas Malnight with Tracey Keys, Wharton School Publishing.