Three executives of Rosenbaum-Cunningham International (RCI), a Palm Beach firm that provided cleaning services to restaurant chains including Hard Rock Cafe, Dave & Busters, House of Blues and Planet Hollywood, will serve jail time and pay $48.9 million in restitution for employing illegal immigrants and evading taxes.
The company paid cash to more than 200 immigrants from Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico, evading about $18.6 million in federal employment taxes.
Note: Restaurateurs who used RCI’s cleaning services said they were unaware the company employed illegal immigrants. But beware: The courts have held some companies liable for labor violations committed by independent contractors. Thoroughly check out your contractors.
- Quick discrimination check: Tally pay by protected status
- Drinking on the job? If it's a job requirement, employer bears responsibility
- Align comp & benefits with phased-Retirement options
- Out of sight shouldn't be out of mind: Monitor remote facilities for signs of harassment
- Pay & perks drive satisfaction, but HR perceives differently