Following reports that more than 8,000 state employees are “double dipping”—collecting a pension while returning to work to collect a state salary—some lawmakers have tried to stop the practice.
Another 131 state employees are said to be triple dipping, collecting two pensions plus a salary.
With support from police unions, a Florida Senate panel has passed a bill that would ban double dipping by police officers. The bill would prohibit officers from retiring and then returning to a similar job under a private employer.
Other bills are pending that would prohibit elected officials from simultaneously drawing a pension and a salary.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Lilly and Carlos: Questions and answers on the Ledbetter Act's unintended consequences
- Set up correspondence log tracking all incoming mail, faxes and e-mails
- New technologies, old problems: Social media in the workplace
- Be ready to come down hard on managers and supervisors who use ethnic slurs