Which admin responsibility would you like to see disappear? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Which admin responsibility would you like to see disappear?

Question: "Say your boss came to you tomorrow and said that starting in the new year, one and only one of your admin tasks is going away forever—and you get to pick which it is. What would it be, and what is it about that thing that you just can't stand?" - the editors of Administrative Professional Today

See comments below, and send your own question to editor@adminprotoday.com.

Angel January 13, 2017 at 3:29 pm

No question – I’d never ever answer another phone. Ever. Not at work, not in real life. I’ll gladly take minutes for you if you’ll answer my calls!

Tawanika January 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm

It would be filing. I really do not like filing. We have almost 300 employees, not including the volunteers and contracted. It is a nightmare to have to constantly file. If you let it get too high it becomes a pile of what in the world. :| To constantly weed out the staff who have left and make new files, etc. is a big job. It can sometimes be very overwhelming.

Christina January 13, 2017 at 10:12 am

Taking minutes. I enjoy the challenges of managing calendars and scheduling meetings but hate taking minutes.

Kathy Stewart-Todd January 24, 2017 at 11:50 am

I feel the same way.. I take minutes for multiple meetings and I tend to procrastinate on getting them done and out. This would be the one thing I would love to not have to do. I struggle with determining what is the important things to keep so I try to write down everything…

Sheila January 13, 2017 at 9:21 am

I would not feel bad if they took away taking minutes at meetings. I feel like they should assign a scribe at meetings beforehand.

Malissa January 13, 2017 at 5:15 am

Meeting Minutes

Renae January 12, 2017 at 4:48 pm

You all have made me very happy that I don’t have to take notes/minutes at meetings!!! Mine would be uniform & PPE inventory, ordering, & storage. Other than that, I have a dream job/career with amazing people!

Susan January 12, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Managing calendars for 6 managers 3 of which are Senior VP’s. Some of them get very upset when I ask questions.

Donna January 10, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Trying to schedule appointments with out-of-state legislators. They don’t want to talk to anyone who isn’t a constituent, even though our meeting is regarding a topic relevant to them too. I”m happy to report that this has now changed! I no longer have to do this. It was always at our busiest time of the year too.

Lynn A January 3, 2017 at 9:02 am

Oh, unlike many of the others, the ONE thing I would (possibly) sacrifice a hand (left of course) over would be tracking my co-workers time, training, and uniforms. These folks are ALL grown adults, yet I am expected to hold their hands and repeat the same information on exactly how to track themselves over and over. I have tried detailed, step-by-step instructions (complete with screenshots), email updates (half refuse to check their email within 30days, and then it falls to me to get their accounts set back up), one-on-one training, even asking them who they think tracks MY stuff. Nothing works. My supervisor doesn’t think its his responsibility to babysit, but refuses to back me up when I call the slackers to task. I literally have to go to the Executive Director (or threaten to) before he’ll grudgingly step up and back the mandatory rules.
Very frustrating!

KS February 6, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Lynn A, if this is happening repeatedly with multiple coworkers, the process itself may have problems. Talk to a couple of the repeat offenders to see what is preventing them from tracking their information and if they have any suggestions to keep the tracking, well, on track.

Rosario December 31, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Not having to calendar another meeting! He changes his mind so often; some days all I do is reschedule meetings.

Devetta Walker January 1, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Yes!!! Me too!!!

Sherrie M. Walsh December 30, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Not having to take meeting notes.

Madeline December 30, 2016 at 12:37 am

Having to take personal phone messages from his family. We have enough to do already. Let them call his/her on their cell phone.

Terri December 29, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Although taking minutes is a great answer, in my job it would have to be ordering catering, getting snacks, and ordering “farewell” cakes. No matter if I get exactly what everyone wants — someone ALWAYS complains about it!! Next on the list would be both Excel and PowerPoint!!!

DEVETTA R WALKER December 29, 2016 at 6:20 pm

I know this is hypothetical, but it would be her calendar management. She is extremely in demand and attends several meetings a day; it drives me crazy!

Donna December 29, 2016 at 4:51 pm

This is such an easy question!! Taking minutes at meetings without a doubt!

Kerri December 29, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Meeting Minutes. Isn’t a recording and a list of action items enough?!?

Debbie December 29, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Minutes, the meetings I can’t attend are recorded for me. It’s exciting, not! Those are usually 3-4 hours long. If minutes went away, I would not have my feelings hurt!

Lynn December 29, 2016 at 4:20 pm

My least favorite duty is covering the reception desk when our receptionist is on break. It forces me to stop whatever I’m doing, and I lose my train of thought. Productivity goes out the window.

Terri January 12, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I used to have to do that, also. The best thing we ever did was go to an automated phone system! Although I felt bad that our receptionist got laid off because of it.

Laura December 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Just like everyone else – taking minutes at meetings. Even tho I’ve crafted my skill at this, it is never fun or easy. Most of the time is spent weeding out the info that isn’t pertinent.

Kathy Stewart-Todd January 24, 2017 at 11:56 am

I would appreciate any help you might be able to provide on crafting this skill? I have tried multiple ways of doing it and weeding out the stuff not needed is tough. Thanks!

Catherine December 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I HATE doing Minutes!!! Does anyone know…why is it called minutes when it takes hours to do them? Why?

Debra January 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm

couldn’t agree more catherine! if minutes were taken from me i would be dancing in the streets! and i have to go back and listen to the recordings to finish the job…its a complete time waster. just use the recordings and e-file them…done and done! why do they have to also be typed? blech…no thank you!

Betty December 29, 2016 at 4:00 pm

totally agree…no more minutes at any meetings!

Patricia December 29, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Anything to do with Excel!

Suzi Sievers December 29, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I absolutely agree with Marlena. Taking the minutes at meetings. :)

Susan December 29, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Notetaking at meetings. Especially meetings where I’m not familiar with the terminology or anagrams that people use. Absolutely hate it.

Marlena December 27, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Taking minutes at meetings could go away forever. I would not be hurt at all.