Q. In Illinois, do noncompete agreements apply even when someone is terminated, as opposed to resigning?
A. Unless the noncompete agreement specifically limits the application of restrictive provisions on post-termination conduct, the agreement’s provisions apply regardless of whether an employee is terminated for cause, for no cause or merely because the employee chose to resign. As always, the breadth, scope and nature of the interest the covenant was designed to protect are always an issue.
- Former employee who sued applies for new job? Take extra care about who does the hiring
- How should we handle pay for employee who will be out two weeks on National Guard duty?
- The Geo Group hit with religious discrimination suit
- To beat the union heat, avoid 7 deadly management sins
- When duty calls: Don't interfere with employees' jury duty