Q. In Illinois, do noncompete agreements apply even when someone is terminated, as opposed to resigning?
A. Unless the noncompete agreement specifically limits the application of restrictive provisions on post-termination conduct, the agreement’s provisions apply regardless of whether an employee is terminated for cause, for no cause or merely because the employee chose to resign. As always, the breadth, scope and nature of the interest the covenant was designed to protect are always an issue.
- Long-Ago acts can show pattern of ongoing harassment
- Cable installers will split $270,000 in back overtime pay
- California federal court rules: Government agency must insure employee's same-sex spouse
- Don't sweat EEOC complaint after discipline if you can prove process was fair
- Keep the faith: You can accommodate religions in the workplace