It might be a good idea to nudge employees out the door if they’re reluctant to use their vacation time, especially if they handle your company’s finances.
For example, the rogue trader who recently cost a French bank $7.2 billion in fraud reportedly never took a day’s vacation or sick leave because he feared his dealings would be discovered.
Some employers, in order to accommodate their operational needs, require that vacation be taken during certain times. Others, especially manufacturers, require vacation time be used during annual one- or two-week plant shutdowns. Assuming you are not operating in a union environment, you certainly can change how you handle vacation time and accrual.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Put teeth in your arbitration agreements! Make sure employees acknowledge them
- Can we force employees to use vacation days as part of military leave?
- Check your FLSA compliance; Fed penalties reach 11-year high
- Catch fishy FMLA requests with the 3 R's