It might be a good idea to nudge employees out the door if they’re reluctant to use their vacation time, especially if they handle your company’s finances.
For example, the rogue trader who recently cost a French bank $7.2 billion in fraud reportedly never took a day’s vacation or sick leave because he feared his dealings would be discovered.
Some employers, in order to accommodate their operational needs, require that vacation be taken during certain times. Others, especially manufacturers, require vacation time be used during annual one- or two-week plant shutdowns. Assuming you are not operating in a union environment, you certainly can change how you handle vacation time and accrual.
- Suspect relative's illness is used to game FMLA? If true, you're free to discipline or terminate
- You can't shave employee's bonus just because she took FMLA leave
- Georgia Employment Security Law
- FMLA leave for small employers
- Unsure about your accommodations obligations? Find out fast--or risk personal liability