Hammer home safety rules to new hires before they start. Don't expect on-the-job experience to teach them the safety ropes.
Reason: New employees suffer the most says a new study by the Institute for Work and Health, a Canadian research group.
Injury rates among all age groups ran five to seven times higher in the first month of employment than in the second.
Here are some good resources to improve safety at your site:
- OSHA's newly redesigned small business site, www.osha.gov/dcsp/ smallbusiness, offers online safety training tools and information on OSHA's consultation program.
- The National Safety Council's online education and seminars, at www.nsc.org/workplace.htm.
- The National Institute for Occu-pational Safety and Health, at www.cdc.gov/niosh.
- Why I represent management as an employment law attorney
- Employees' temporary disabilities don't trigger ADA protections
- What are the pros and cons of requiring staff to sign mandatory arbitration clauses?
- Telling manager about special ed may trigger FEHA accommodations process
- Protect your company's secrets ... and take the credit