The man’s allegations focus on how he was treated by colleagues.
He claims one co-worker once told him to “go back to Greece” and another introduced him to students as “the little Greek guy.” His lawsuit seeks reinstatement, back pay and other damages.
Note: Offhand comments about a person’s ethnic background or national origin can provide fodder for litigation. The court will look at whether he was treated differently than similarly situated employees in its analysis of whether the university actually discriminated against him or not.
- It takes more than protected status to win lawsuit
- Winning lawsuit no slam-Dunk when firing follows romance
- Discipline hothead who won't accept decision
- Of good faith and gut instinct: Fire employee who falsely claims discrimination
- How many lawyers do we need? Lawsuit names company and individual managers