How was your 2015 as an admin? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

How was your 2015 as an admin?

Question: "What surprises did you have about your job or the administrative profession as a whole in the year 2015? Was it just another year—or did something really stand out?" - the editors of Administrative Professional Today

See comments below, and send your own question to editor@adminprotoday.com.

Marla February 15, 2016 at 7:37 am

Great! After 7 years I was promoted 2 levels, after having been told by other admins in the past that my location “just doesn’t promote admins”. Another admin (who’s been here for 35 years and was at my level still, also) and I went to our supervisors and questioned why other admins at other locations who do the same things we do had been promoted in the past year. Our supervisors went to our local H.R. who was not aware of the other promotions, and after a few months of justifying our requests for promotions with Corporate, we received promotions! It’s nice to know that I don’t have to look at the next 30 years being at the level I was at, like my co-worker did. Our promotions raised our salary grade by about $3/hour as well as our annual bonus amounts.

Vickie January 20, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Words of encouragement…if it is a job you love and the people are great, try to hang in there. Fortunately for me, I do have a boss and people around me that pitch in when I get busy with other things. There are things in every job, everywhere you go, that you will not like. Try not to get too hung up on small stuff and leave work at work when you go home.

Jenni January 18, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Technology has been our biggest issue this year because everyone in our company EXCEPT admin assistants are now required to use MacBooks while we still have Windows desktop computers. Now I find myself having to ask senders to resend attachments in windows programs, print for others because our printers don’t have Mac drivers, and I am unable to help with tech issues when they run into problems simply because I am unfamiliar with the Macs.

In addition, we have started using Google programs (drive, calendar, gmail) rather than local drives which in some ways is good, but when the internet is down (as it frequently is in our part of town) we are at a loss. It’s been a challenge to say the least, but we have learned an awful lot during this trial by fire!

Gil H. January 5, 2016 at 8:11 am

I actually lost my admin job this year because my company folded. But because I had money saved up, I was able to really take my time finding a new job. It made a huge difference when it came to interviewing. I was so much more relaxed because I wasn’t anxious at all. I was like a different person and I think I got a better job because of it. Lesson learned.

Creative Solutions January 4, 2016 at 6:33 am

Awesome

Darcy January 1, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I got a very cool job this year in an investment firm, and have a lot if interesting things to do and fun people to work with—but I’ve had a little trouble adjusting to being an admin because it seems to mean you have to do a lot of the things that are “below the pay grade” of people above me. Things like cleaning the office, decorating for the holidays, even running down to Subway when people suddenly got hungry at a meeting(!) Just when I start to feel like a real professional, some little task I’m not very proud of needs to be done, and sometimes I get resentful that my bosses won’t help out in any of these areas, just to pitch in.

Sand January 14, 2016 at 4:20 pm

I understand you whole heartedly! I relocated to another state and this past year was an eye opener! Adjusting to an Admin position was rough. Not to mention the Admin who retired before me had these office people spoiled. Small things like making copies or scanning files for someone when they sit right nex to the machine. Or leaving their outgoing mail in my inbox when the outgoing mail bin is next to them!

Laura G December 31, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I have been an admin for 30+ years and still love it. I think this last year has really been interesting. I had to learn SharePoint and design it for our team. The advances in technology are amazing to me. We were able to connect a call from Canada and show a presentation here at the same time and share screens with India. A very long way from the IBM Selectric typewriters and the speaker phone.

Kim B December 30, 2015 at 6:03 pm

My first Admin position after graduation. I have completed my first year and I love where I am., but I have found that I may have thought I was organized at school but there are times I feel like what am I doing? I call myself an Admin? lol Anyway, school taught me the basics but reality it can be very different. My pile of folders is growing and I know I have to tackle it before it gets out of hand and apply disciplines into 2016. I keep adjusting. Grateful for all the resources that are out there for new Admins.

Robyn B December 30, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I was promoted to the Executive Assistant to the CEO. Which has been a wonderful experience and I’m certainly blessed to work with and have an awesome mentor in my boss!