CareerBuilder.com is helping its 2,400 employees build their own careers with an Ideas from Everywhere contest. Employees submit business proposals for programs that the organization could add, says HR Director Jade Augustine.
The contest “really embraces our entrepreneurial energy and purpose,” Augustine says. “If you have a great idea, present it to us. It could be the next division of CareerBuilder.”
When an employee wins a contest, the company creates a new department to develop the idea and anoints the winner as its manager. “They’re responsible for hiring the resources they need to get this idea off the ground and running,” Augustine says.
Winners since 2006 have started a magazine and an online education program.
Contact: Theresa Chu at Theresa.Chu@careerbuilder.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Wife's pregnancy complications warrant granting FMLA leave
- Is less business travel hurting business?
- Ensure policy lets employees report harassment to someone other than boss
- Prepare for possible changes in employment eligibility verification