In 2007, New York lawmakers passed a record number of laws affecting employers, including new laws on independent contractors, inquiries into conviction records, leave for military spouses, leave of absence for blood donations and cancer screenings, and unemployment benefits.
To protect employees from potential exploitation and to collect
Gov. Eliot Spitzer recently signed an executive order establishing the Joint Task Force on Employee Misclassification. The task force will issue a report to the governor each Feb. 1, detailing enforcement efforts to stop employers from misclassifying employees as independent contractors.
The task force includes...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Bring domestic violence out of the workplace shadows
- Do you approve dubious FMLA leave? You're not alone
- Feel free to deny employees' FMLA leave requests that aren't legitimate under the law
- DOL grants to fund research on paid sick and family leave