Obviously, you need skills to be creative, and you need self-discipline to push ahead.
But what sets apart creative geniuses?
1. They keep their heads up. Look outside your field for inspiration.
2. They take time making decisions. It’s called “the tortoise mind,” fuzzy and unconscious. When you have to make a decision, find out when you need it, and don’t make it until then.
3. They find intrinsic motivation. Don’t be deterred from finding a creative way forward.
4. They start from scratch. Sometimes, the best way is not an incremental improvement but something new.
5. Their people take risks. Letting employees disagree and challenge the status quo encourages innovation.
6. They find connections.
7. They sense abundance. Ideas lie dormant all around, waiting to be brought to life. Pick the best ones and roll.
— Adapted from “8 Habits of People Who Always Have Great Ideas,” Stephanie Vozza, Fast Company.