5 questions to ask yourself just seconds before you fire someone …
1. “Where is my magical guarantee that a replacement wouldn’t make the same kinds of mistakes?” Too often managers overreact to a seemingly catastrophic error, forgetting that no one is truly immune to them. Are you expecting to find a replacement who is miraculously free of the capacity for a mental wipeout once in a while? The person you’re about to fire once proved that they were capable and intelligent through a full hiring process—so are you just wishfully thinking, “OK, the next person will really know what they’re doing”…?
2. “Are people going to start seeing me as Mr. Potter from ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’?” Imagine exactly how ...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 211,000 reasons to make age-blind employment decisions: Employee can sue for mental anguish
- Lawsuit: Lehman bankruptcy stiffed riffed NYC workers
- Understanding religious accommodations in Georgia workplaces
- Heed the legal limits of video monitoring in the workplace