A former intern is suing Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen’s Dualstar entertainment, alleging she received neither pay nor college credit for four months of work. The former intern seeks to make the suit a class action by including 40 other interns.
She said she worked 50 hours a week for the twins’ fashion line, The Row, photocopying, sewing, cleaning and running personal errands. She argued that the twins violated the Fair Labor Standards Act by neither paying the interns nor providing an educational experience.
Note: Several high-profile intern lawsuits have been filed recently. Employers should have their attorneys review intern arrangements to ensure they’re in compliance with the.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- State proposal would cover municipalities' military leave
- Can we recover the cost of a former employee's laptop by withholding from his final paycheck?
- DOL plan = more HR paperwork ... Find out what's required
- New incentive to speed up workers' comp cases