Going online to learn software: What’s your first stop? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Going online to learn software: What’s your first stop?

Question: "I need to up my game with PowerPoint and Excel. Can anyone recommend online classes for this?"  - Kathleen, Assistant to VP

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Debra November 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

When I google “tnaoap” or “The National Association of Administrative Professionals” the IAAP comes up (as well as a few others). I was looking for another source other than the IAAP… KimBer were you referring to the IAAP or another organization? Could you post the website? Thanks so much!

KimBer October 21, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I went with the online tnaoap certification program to develop my skills with MS office. Having no college experience and being an older member of the workforce, I had to do something to verify my skills.

Kathy October 22, 2015 at 11:50 am

I agree Kimber, having these computer certifications from credible associations are so valuable.

Robin September 16, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Since these are Microsoft programs, go to Microsoft.com and search for tutorials. I’ve taken beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses (free) for Outlook and they were a lot of help.

Cecilia September 16, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Amen to that, Robin! Microsoft has some great courses. I’ve used those, too. And if we can’t learn it there, we can always GOOGLE IT!

Sharon September 14, 2015 at 3:12 pm

This website gives you a few free training sessions. You can pick which areas you’d like to learn-you don’t need to do them in order-and each one is pretty in-depth.

Pam O September 10, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Looking for free resources?

GCF Learn Free provides free self-paced tutorials.

YouTube has videos

Various universities may also have some online tutorials

Tech magazine websites and blogs

Cecilia September 10, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Every year, I subscribe to National Seminar Group’s mystar12 program. For $299/year, I get unlimited access to live and on-demand webinars, quick tips, a seemingly endless electronic library, and even one- and two-day conferences! If you attend a conference, you will receive a discount when purchasing books or materials. They offer rates for multiple employees of the same company and various packages to suit needs and budgets. Supervisors can assign specific training to their team and can run a quick report to see each person’s achievements to-date. In addition to various training levels on MS Office software, they’ve got FranklinCovey’s series, and even courses in personal development. For all that you get, the price is simply unbeatable. I totally sound like a commercial, but I absolutely love mystar12, primarily because I can’t get out of my office much so this offers me training when and where it’s convenient for me. Definitely check it out!

Phyllis September 10, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I recommend Udemy. They run a lot of specials, and you can get some great training sessions for $10-$15.

Judy September 10, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I highly recommend Lynda.com. They have great tutorials that walk you through the processes.

Julia September 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I have also used lynda.com to great success. It’s quick, easy and understandable.
Good luck!
Julia

Carolyn Taylor September 10, 2015 at 4:00 pm

This isn’t an online class but http://chandoo.org/ is a great Excel site. It has a plethora of useful Excel information and you can sign up for daily tips and a newsletter. It’s excellent.