The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in Indiana refused to hear an appeal from FedEx Ground on the nationwide class action certification of its delivery drivers in a lawsuit that could cost the company billions.
The case covers tens of thousands of drivers who claim they were misclassified as independent contractors.
The IRS has already ordered FedEx to pay back taxes and penalties of $319 million over driver misclassification.
Note: For tips on differentiating employees from independent contractors, go to www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1779.pdf.
- The $640 million question: Do you know how to comply with the FLSA?
- Check your records! Some old pay-bias cases get new life under Ledbetter law
- Workers' compensation can cover cosmetic surgery for injured employee
- Sample Policy: Confidentiality and Nondisclosure
- Utah HR tech firm winning war on employee burnout