The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit in Indiana refused to hear an appeal from FedEx Ground on the nationwide class action certification of its delivery drivers in a lawsuit that could cost the company billions.
The case covers tens of thousands of drivers who claim they were misclassified as independent contractors.
The IRS has already ordered FedEx to pay back taxes and penalties of $319 million over driver misclassification.
Note: For tips on differentiating employees from independent contractors, go to www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1779.pdf.
- How to ward off some class-action pay-bias suits: Grant managers limited discretion to set pay
- Is a salary only for full-timers?
- California Supreme Court limits liability for independent contractor's injuries
- Cover employee expenses--or prepare for court
- Undocumented worker claims retaliation? No back pay