Monmouth County does not have to dish up the details of its settlement with traffic engineer Carol Melnick over sexual harassment charges, State Superior Court Judge Jamie Perri has ruled. The Asbury Park Press and open-government advocate John Paff both sued the county requesting access to records of the settlement under the state Open Public Records Act.
Perri ruled that the common law expectation of privacy overrides the public’s right to information and allows an exception for sexual harassment cases.
- How to guarantee a lawsuit: Terminate only older workers during reduction in force
- You can reject 'litigious' job applicants
- No harm in accommodating, even without official ADA disability determination
- No separate emotional distress claims if conduct is covered by IHRA
- Lessons from the Courts: June 2009