We’re all subject to lapses that make us look unprofessional. Here are seven reminders of what to avoid.
1. Lazy profanity. It’s not the profanity itself (most of us have grown immune to that). It’s the laziness. If someone swears over and over, it makes you wonder whether they’re equally uncreative and slothful about everything.
2. Lateness. Being on time is a matter of respect.
3. Leering. We’re all human. Yet, that same humanity means we should have the self-control to keep the “up-and-down look” under control.
4. Disorganization. Clients and customers want you to be prompt, knowledgeable, organized and in control.
5. Incoherence. This one is like, so like, obvious—and yet a lot of people like—they don’t, like, really, like, get it.
6. Overpromising. Make sure you can make good on your commitments.
7. Secrecy, cheating, lying. Obviously.
— Adapted from “10 Everyday Habits,” Bill Murphy Jr., Inc. via The Muse.