Q. A recently discharged employee exceeded his monthly allotment of minutes for personal calls on his company-issued cell phone. Can we recoup the cost of these extra minutes by withholding the amount from his paycheck?
A. You must have written authorization from the employee before withholding money from his paycheck.
- Avoiding the layoff letter: 4 survival skills to recession-proof your job
- Find retention answers from 'Ones who got away'
- Building case for firing employee is OK—If it's legitimate
- The gloves are off: Haitians win lawsuit against landscaping firm
- Constructive discharge a tough sell after you ask to be fired