Q. A recently discharged employee exceeded his monthly allotment of minutes for personal calls on his company-issued cell phone. Can we recoup the cost of these extra minutes by withholding the amount from his paycheck?
A. You must have written authorization from the employee before withholding money from his paycheck.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Beware desperate 'whistle-blower': Document reason for firing to stop retaliation claim
- Sour environment doesn't warrant constructive discharge
- Generalized harassment isn't considered retaliation under CEPA
- Prep for firing with honest investigation