Q. A recently discharged employee exceeded his monthly allotment of minutes for personal calls on his company-issued cell phone. Can we recoup the cost of these extra minutes by withholding the amount from his paycheck?
A. You must have written authorization from the employee before withholding money from his paycheck.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When disgruntled employees act as their own lawyers, patience may be your winning strategy
- Firing employees on FMLA leave: Occasionally legal, usually unwise
- Your 2010 HR action plan: 10 trends, 10 resolutions
- Disruptive behavior? That's a firing offense