Q. A recently discharged employee exceeded his monthly allotment of minutes for personal calls on his company-issued cell phone. Can we recoup the cost of these extra minutes by withholding the amount from his paycheck?
A. You must have written authorization from the employee before withholding money from his paycheck.
- OK to fire for Facebook complaint about work?
- OK to fire a bankrupt financial manager? We fear his ineptitude will chase customers away
- Thorough investigation is key to defending firing
- Half of employers have fired staff for online abuses
- Workers' Comp: Ohio's Top Court Says 'Tough Luck' to Safety Slackers