Being terminated for taking job-protected leave was the No. 1 reason employees filed-related complaints with the U.S. Department of Labor last year.
Refusal to grant leave 20%
Refusal to restore to position 12%
Failure to maintain benefits 2%
Source: DOL Wage & Hour statistics, FY2014
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Common small-company confusion: believing FMLA applies to them
- Interpret Military Leave Law in Most Employee-Friendly Way
- What should we include in our updated employee handbook?
- If FMLA leave has expired, when must we grant additional time off?