When looking for the next generation of leaders in your workplace, ask yourself:
- Do they anticipate and think through complex conditions?
- Do they talk about how trends might affect your work?
- When they talk about wins, do they say who contributed and what everybody learned?
- Do they seem introspective, or able to reflect on things?
- When they discuss turnarounds, do they talk about people and processes that helped?
- Do they think collaboratively?
- Do they consider emotional intelligence?
- Do they strive to improve themselves?
- How do they keep calm in tough situations?
—Adapted from “7 Qualities and 9 Questions to Help You Select Future Leaders,” Maureen Metcalf, ThoughtLeaders.