Cutting-edge companies like Google and Apple are using mindfulness techniques to reduce stress and conflict and improve collaboration, communication and productivity. The idea is that when you are mindful, you think clearly and that allows you to address problems more effectively.
To encourage your employees to be more mindful, ask them to periodically—or even daily—answer the following questions. You should do the same.
- What did I do today specifically to with my co-workers or boss?
- What learning or growth activities did I participate in today? Did I initiate them or did someone else; for example, my boss?
- Whom do I acknowledge or praise for hard work? Whom did I thank?
- Did I take actions today that align with the team’s or organization’s long-term goals?
- Did I feel engaged today at work?
The activity prompts people to think about their attitude toward work and their day-to-day interactions, behaviors and activities.
— Adapted from “Practicing Mindfulness Technique at Work,” Savita Pahuja, InfoQ, www.infoq.com.