What’s changed in Word–and is it worth it to keep up? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

What’s changed in Word–and is it worth it to keep up?

Question: "I am currently working in Word 2007 and we are getting ready to update to Word 2010. Will there be a lot of changes to get used to?"  - Sharon, Office Manager / Financial Secretary

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Terri July 2, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Cathy, that looks like a GREAT site! Thanks for sharing!

JoAnn Paules June 22, 2015 at 6:19 am

Word 7 was also known as Word 95 so I assume you mean Word 2007. If so, there are minor differences but nothing major. The ribbon is still there and to the best of my knowledge, nothing was moved from one location to another. You will be just fine.

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft Office 2010 Master

Lisa B June 19, 2015 at 10:56 am

I had trouble with the ribbon but have found that all of the old the keyboard shortcuts still work (!) so I’m able to bypass it completely at times.

Alison June 19, 2015 at 4:20 am

Although the ribbon is very different, Word 10 is very user friendly. I still have to use the help icon to find functions that are not where they used to be. I try and teach myself something new everyday in Word and Excel. Everyday’s a school day!!

Christie June 18, 2015 at 5:54 pm

You can find free tutorials on the internet or on youtube.com I found it to be very user friendly… sometimes trying to find a certain function can be challenging but I just use the “?” help icon and run a “how to” search and easily find the answers. Good luck!

kalero June 18, 2015 at 5:16 pm

The ribbon is the biggest challenge you will face. After years with 2010, I still have to hunt for lesser used functions that were easy to find with the old menu.
As far as functionality, there are definite improvements in formatting options.

Cathy June 18, 2015 at 4:24 pm

When I was switched from Word 7 to Word 10, I almost threw my computer out the door. I found that commands I’d been so familiar with had been moved. Once I found out how to set up my “cheat” ribbon with the commands I use constantly throughout the day, it became less stressful for me because I didn’t have to look for those commands. I’ll be getting Word 13 later this year and wanted to learn about it so I didn’t get stressed with new software, I looked around on the Internet to see what was out there to help. I stumbled across a website – http://www.gcflearnfree.org – which offers FREE lessons on Word 10 & 13 (and other software). It features short videos on topics such as Getting Started, Text Basics, Saving, Formatting Pictures, etc. You might want to check it out.

Robin L. Robertson June 18, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Yes, there are many changes but it is very user friendly. I am a boomer and had no difficulty whatsoever adjusting to the changes. Embrace change and learn something new every day.