Q. I recently got a form in the mail, signed by a former employee, authorizing release of her personnel file to her attorney. Must I honor it?
A. No. The file belongs to the company. A former employee probably has no right to review the company’s file about her and, therefore, cannot give the right to someone else.
- Should we keep copies of I-9 documentation?
- Guard HR records, the No. 1 source of identity theft
- Must we turn over personnel file to former employee's attorney?
- The Office Organizer: Tips on file organizing, record retention and email management
- Strictly limit employee medical information just to those who need to know