Activist Dave Wilson presented petitions containing 19,700 signatures seeking a November referendum demanding repeal of the ordinance.
Apparently, Wilson confused the rules for changing the city charter with those to repeal an ordinance. State law requires 20,000 signatures to place a referendum question on the ballot to repeal an ordinance.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker noted that any such petition must be filed within 30 days of the ordinance’s passage.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- St. Vincent Hospital fires worker over threatening note
- Meat packer, staffing firm settle with Muslim workers
- Go for the gold: Craft waivers that release you from all lawsuits
- Tales from the trenches: The sheet cake that shook a manager's resolve