A Texas appeals court had dismissed a lawsuit filed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) on behalf of nine chimpanzees and monkeys.
The court said the primates don’t have an independent right to sue for poor conditions at the Texas animal sanctuary they were transferred to after “retiring” from service at Ohio State University. No word on whether PETA plans to appeal or perhaps file an overtime claim for unpaid wages with the Labor Department.
- Develop procedures for breaks that accommodate disabilities
- Benefits questions can trigger ERISA suit
- Simply declaring employees are contractors won't change status
- NLRB, EEOC confidentiality stance muddles investigations
- Spell out FMLA intermittent leave timing in handbook—or risk a million-dollar mistake