When you ask for something that will advance your career, ask yourself these things first:
1. Do you really want it? You’ve got to ask with commitment.
2. Are you ready to do what it takes to get this? Ask with awareness of the trade-offs involved.
3. Do you understand all the ramifications? If you do, ask away, without fear.
4. Do you feel this request is fair and consider yourself worthy? You have to trust your own judgment.
5. Are you prepared to persist if at first you don’t succeed? Set your expectations low as you’re going in, with the idea that you’ll need to circle back.
— Adapted from “How To Ask For What You Want And Get It,” Iyanla Vanzant, Huffington Post.