Faced with a huge decision at work? Ask yourself these five questions before deciding which direction to take:
1. Do I need to make this decision now? If it is not a priority, park it until a later date.
2. How will this decision affect the organization? If you make decisions to serve your own self-interest, you aren’t focused on the big picture.
3. Who can provide input on this matter? Talk to everyone who will be affected by the decision to ensure that you fully understand the situation and can choose the best course of action.
4. Can we execute a plan? Determine what exactly you need to execute a decision.
5. What challenges can we expect? Think of the obstacles—those you’ve encountered before and even unlikely ones—and plan now to overcome them. Have a contingency plan ready.
— Adapted from “5 Criteria to Consider When Making Your Next Big Decision,” Jeff Boss, Entrepreneur, www.entrepreneur.com.