Here are “five zeros” that will simplify your work:
1. Task List 0: Jot down a list of tasks you realistically can accomplish (or at least make progress on) every day. Don’t overload it, which will cause stress and confusion.
2. Inbox 0: De-junk your inbox. You don’t need to empty it, especially if your mail program will “roll off” any email you haven’t filed after two or three months. If at all possible, check email only about three or four times a day. This will keep you focused.
3. Tab 0: Bring all your open browser tabs to zero. When you’re done with a tab, close it. Or turn it into a task and close it until you can deal with it.
4. Input 0: Work through your notes so that every idea, thought or task is handled or scheduled.
5. Work desk 0: Tidy your desk starting about 15 minutes after you’ve stopped working and about 30 minutes before you’re ready to leave.
— Adapted from “The 5 Zeros You Should Achieve Every Day to Give You Peace of Mind,” Mike Vardy, Productivityist.