It can be hard to reconcile with a co-worker when you don’t see eye to eye, but it may be necessary for the good of the organization. Executive coach Mary Jo Asmus of Aspire Collaborative Services offers a few simple steps to make it easier.
- Find common ground. If necessary, invent something. Whatever it is, think of something that will inspire you to work together.
- Be honest. Commit to working together and assuming the best of each other.
- Tell others. Colleagues can help keep you accountable.
- See each other as people. Try to learn more about the person.
- Speak honestly, but carefully. Try to be honest about your issues without blaming or accusing.
— Adapted from “How to make one helluva good person, together,” Mary Jo Asmus, SmartBlog on .