To become more successful, start thinking and speaking like a successful person, says Sujan Patel of employee scheduling software platform When I Work.
Some things successful people never say, and you should eliminate these phrases from your conversational repertoire too, Patel says.
1. “We can’t do that.” Solving customer problems is the goal of most businesses. Successful people welcome opportunities to do that.
2. “I don’t know how.” Successful people figure out what they don’t know and then learn how to do it.
3. “I don’t know what that is.” It’s OK to admit when you don’t know something, but successful people always follow this phrase with “But I’ll find out.”
4. “I did everything on my own.” Successful people surround themselves with talented people who are dedicated to the mission, and then give credit to others when it’s due.
5. “That’s too early.” Successful people don’t shy away from very early meetings or events.
6. “That’s too late.” Successful people are also night owls when an after-hours opportunity arises. You need to be ready and willing to make key connections at any time of day.
7. “I never read books.” Rich people read—or listen to—books at a much higher rate than poor people, found Tom Corley of Rich Habits.
8. “Time off is for suckers.” True success is a balanced life. You need vacations and scheduled downtime.
— Adapted from “You’ll Never Hear Successful People Say These 15 Phrases,” Sujan Patel, Entrepreneur.