Getting to work on time can be hard enough without the added obstacles imposed by bathroom mishaps, gas station stick-ups and, of course, bands of roving deer. The pollsters at CareerBuilder recently asked more than 2,100 hiring and HR managers for the most ridiculous excuses for tardiness they have heard. Among the best:
- I knocked myself out in the shower.
- I was drunk and forgot which Waffle House I parked my car next to.
- Someone robbed the gas station I was at, and I didn’t have enough gas to get to another station.
- I had to wait for the judge to set my bail.
- A deer herd that was moving through town made me late.
- I dreamed that I got fired.
- I’m not late. I was thinking about work on the way in.