When it comes to recognition, money isn’t everything. Employees often want other shows of your appreciation—and many respond well to rewards that just might surprise you.
Find out how your employees want to be recognized by distributing a survey, asking them to mark the items that appeal to them. Then tailor rewards around their responses.
“Reward me by ...”
- Offering me positive feedback at a meeting.
- Asking me to take on a tough problem or challenge.
- Inviting me to a dinner party or barbecue at the boss’s home.
- Giving me the chance to work flexible hours or work at home.
- Letting me buy new tools or equipment for work.
- Asking my opinion.
- Sharing my successes with the rest of the organization.
- Letting me learn a new system, operate new equipment and increase my skills and knowledge.
— Adapted fromand Teamplay, Sivasailam “Thiagi” Thiagarajan and Glenn Parker, Jossey Bass, www.josseybass.com.