If some employees work at home—even on a part-time basis—they may feel out of the loop and unmotivated at times. To keep those employees feeling connected and motivated, take these steps:
- Include them in conference calls.
- Send them daily email messages with funny or inspirational notes along with the latest “shop talk.”
- Encourage on-site employees to stay in touch via phone and email, even if only to ask “How’s it going?”
- Send an occasional card or note via “snail mail.” People still like to receive nonelectronic communications.
- Keep the at-home workers apprised of all milestones and events that affect the organization.
— Adapted from “Pros and Cons of Job Sharing,” David Javitch, Entrepreneur, www.entrepreneur.com.