Stay focused and make the most of each moment you spend in the office with these tips:
- Record everything you do. Track your time for several days. Review how each moment was spent and assess how effective you have been. Putting your actual schedule on paper can be eye-opening.
- Plan your time daily. Start each morning with time for planning. Set up your schedule hour by hour.
- Schedule time with yourself. Scheduling time with others is essential for business, but the same is true for you. Carve out times to handle your tasks with definite beginning and ending times.
- Plan for interruptions. Take a hint from your college professors who held office hours. They weren’t sitting in their offices expecting to be left alone; they were working while expecting interruptions.
- Don’t instantly respond. You should not stop what you are doing to answer every call or read and respond to every email. That can be a difficult habit to break. Instead, work time into your daily schedule for returning calls and responding to emails.
— Adapted from “10That Work,” Joe Mathews, Don Debolt and Deb Percival, www.entrepreneur.com.