For you to remain credible, your words must match your actions. Here are five actions that keep your credibility strong:
- Accept responsibility. Stand up as a leader and do the right thing, especially in times of failure. If you had a part in an issue, speak up. Claim responsibility and offer a plan for next time.
- Be sincere. Don’t try too hard to be liked. Be genuinely interested in others and act professionally. You will gain respect.
- Tell the truth. Honesty really is the best policy.
- Be transparent. When it comes to business , share as much as you can. Sharing information with others shows you are confident in your abilities and that you have nothing to hide.
- Keep learning. Stay abreast of the changes in your industry. Know your field and confidently exhibit your knowledge.
— Adapted from “Five Reasons Leaders Lose Credibility,” Monster staff, www.managerlink.monster.com.