The latest technology and social media sites bring about their own lingo. Check out related words and their definitions officially added to Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary in 2014:
- Social networking. The creation and maintenance of personal and business relationships online.
- Hashtag. A word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that classifies or categorizes the accompanying text, such as a tweet.
- Gamification. The process of adding games or gamelike elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.
- Crowdfunding. The practice of soliciting financial contributions from a large number of people, especially from the online community.
- Digital divide. The economic, educational and social inequalities between those who have computers and online access and those who do not.
- Selfie. An image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera, especially for posting on social networks.
— Adapted from “A Sample of New Dictionary Words for 2014,” Merriam-Webster staff, www.merriam-webster.com.