Hiring freelancers is a great way to gain the manpower—and expertise—you need without hiring full-time employees. Follow these tips to hire a freelancer for your team:
- Test candidates. Collect résumés and work samples to narrow down your selection pool. Once you have pared your list to 5-10 candidates, test them on an actual work assignment.
- Choose the best. Do a side-by-side comparison of the tests. Pick the two or three candidates who do the best work and then schedule interviews.
- Make more work contingent on success. Let freelancers know that you’ll use the first project as a trial. If it goes well, you will assign additional work.
— Adapted from “How to Hire a Freelancer in 3 Easy Steps,” David Waring, www.fitsmallbusiness.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Do we have to provide a job application even if we're not hiring?
- Supreme Court rules on pre-employment tests and disparate impact
- Use consistent interview questions to ensure fairness in hiring and promotions
- Want to be creative? Ask 5 questions