Anyone can start a blog. To build readership and keep followers engaged are more challenging. Here are eight tips to make your blog stand out:
- Stick to a schedule. Readers like to be able to anticipate when new posts are coming.
- Have a clear purpose. What is it that you are trying to achieve with your blog?
- Write at your best times. If new ideas come to you over morning coffee, make it a habit to write then. Write when you feel most inspired.
- Take a stand. Don’t be afraid to share your opinions about the topics you cover.
- Be clear and concise. Use straightforward language and short, pointed sentences. Forget industry jargon, and write in plain language.
- Master subheaders. Subheaders can be as important as titles because readers tend to scan section by section.
- Be personal. Focus on your topics, but insert bits of information about yourself. You’re forming a relationship with your readers, so allow them to get to know you.
- Guest blog. Then link to your own blog to gain new followers.
— Adapted from “35 Blogging Tips to Woo Readers and Win Business,” Henneke Duistermaat, www.copyblogger.com.